Much is said and written about the platform economy with many reports and studies highlighting that the majority of jobs will be freelance and platform-based within a few years. In the new Policy Brief “Migration and the Platform Economy”, Glen Hodgson looks at what perspectives the platform economy can provide to migrants. Third-country nationals cannot get locked in a technology-facilitated parallel economy which leads to unstable incomes, limited training and social isolation. The COVID-19 crisis has led to rising unemployment and the recovery is likely to be characterised by increased labour market flexibility. Significant demand remains in some sectors - for both low and high-skilled workers - and the platform economy can help in turning black jobs white and integrating migrants into host country labour forces. Work permits should be granted to migrants where jobs are available, while efforts should be made by all stakeholders to build trust in the platform economy through collaboration and the establishment of a Code of Conduct.
To preview and download the brief please use this link.
Moreover, our Repository
- Policy brief by Stefan Vogtenhuber "Labour migration from East to West: The example of foreign workers in Austria"
- Policy brief by Haykanush Chobanyan "Armenia's migration cooperation with the European Union and Eurasian Economic Union"
- Policy brief by Rainer Muenz "How will migration to Europe look in the Future? Trends, open questions and four plausible scenarios"
- Policy brief by Ruslan Minich and Pavlo Kravchuk "The Impact of COVID-19 on Ukrainian Labour Migrants in Czechia, Hungary, Poland and Italy"
- Policy brief by Glen Hodgson "Intra-corporate Transferees (ICTs): The benefits for the EU and the opportunity cost"
- Policy brief by Kristof Tamas "Making the EU’s Migration and Development Policies More Coherent"
- Policy brief by Andriy Orlean "Countering Human Trafficking: Identifying, Returning and Assisting Victims from Ukraine"
- Policy brief by Olga Gulina "Russian nationals looking for refuge in the European Union"
- Policy brief by Dmitry Poletaev "Russia’s Migration Policies after the dissolution of the Federal Migration Service"
- Policy Brief by Yan Matusevich "The EU Central Asia Strategy and Its Impact on Migration"
- Policy brief by Kristof Tamas "Assessing the EU's External Migration Policy"
- Training Manual "How to be a good trainer?"
- Policy Brief by Nermin Oruc and Danica Santic "Highly-skilled Return Migrants to the Western Balkans: Should we count (on) them?"
- Analytical Report by Yelena Sadovskaya "China's "Belt and Road" Initiative and Its Impact on Migration Flows and Policies in Central Asia"
- Policy Brief by Petros Aghababyan "Closing the policy gaps concerning an eventual mass influx of asylum seekers to Armenia"
- Policy Brief by Yan Matusevich "Evaluating the Future of Uzbek Labour Migration"
- Analytical Report by Ivanka Heinzl "Report on the National Action Plan to Fight Trafficking in Human Beings of the Republic of Azerbaijan"
- Policy Brief by Haykanush Chobanyan "Assessing Armenia’s Migration Strategy for 2017-2021"
- Policy Brief by Natia Mestvirishvili "Circular Migration Schemes in Georgia"
- Policy Brief by Katerina Ivashchenko-Stadnik "Ukraine: First visa-free year since introducing the visa-free regime"